Introducing the Imperial Academy (Guozijian)
The Imperial Academy, also named Guozijian, was the imperial college during the Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties (although most of its buildings were built during the Ming Dynasty). And it is the last Guozijian of China and is an important national cultural heritage. In 1898, the Guozijian was disbanded during the Hundred Days Reform of the Qing Dynasty, and it was replaced by the Imperial Capital University, later known as the Beijing University.
The "Guozijian", often translated into English as the Imperial Academy or Imperial College was the national central institute of learning in ancient Chinese dynasties. It was the highest institute of learning in China's traditional educational system. Emperors in imperial China would also frequently visit the Guozijian to read Confucian classics to thousands of students. The Guozijian was first built in 1306 and was reconstructed and renovated on a large scale during Emperor Yongle (1402-1424) and Zhengtong (1436-1449) reigns of the Ming Dynasty. The administrative officials of Guozijian were called Jijiu (the chief), Siye (Dean of Studies) and Jiancheng etc. The students who studied at the Guozijian were called Jiansheng, and they mainly studied Confucian classics. The Guozijian is situated at the central area of the Guozijian Street and adjoining several other well known imperial structures of Beijing, and the complex of Guozijian accords with the Chinese tradition which dictate that the temple should be on the "left" and the school or college on the "right". To the east of the Guozijian, lies the Confucius Temple, the second largest Confucius temples in all of China and the Yonghegong Temple, the largest Lama Temple in Beijing.